The company behind low-priced, top-selling phones on Amazon has reached a settlement with the US Federal Trade Commission over privacy practices.
After security researchers discovered in 2016 that Blu's phones were sending personal data -- including text messages, contact lists and locations -- to servers in China, the Florida-based company said it would update the software to fix the "mistake." Eight months later, the same security researchers found that Blu phones were still siphoning off the same data to Chinese servers.
The issue is tied to preinstalled software from a company called Shanghai Adups Technology. The software, which Blu uses to help update phones, mined data and couldn't be removed. Blu didn't tell consumers their phones were sending that data to Chinese servers, according to the FTC.
On Monday, the FTC announced that it has reached a settlement with Blu, in which the company agrees to a security plan regarding security risks with all its devices, both new and old. Blu will also be required to undergo third-party checks every two years for the next 20 years. Blu and its president, Samuel Ohev-Zion, will also be prohibited from misleading the public about how it protects people's privacy.
Blu didn't respond to a request for comment.
Breaking the terms of the settlement could result in a fine of up to $41,484 for each violation, according to FTC. Blu has sold more than 50 million devices and is still among the top 5 selling unlocked phones on Amazon.
After Amazon learned of Blu's privacy issues last July, it briefly suspended the company from selling on its website but let Blu return in about a week.
The settlement isn't final. It's open for public comment until May 30.
Blockchain Decoded: CNET looks at the tech powering bitcoin -- and soon, too, a myriad of services that will change your life.
Follow the Money: This is how digital cash is changing the way we save, shop and work.
- 3G Mobile Phone Selection
- WCDMA Basic Introduction
- Mobile Phones Are Practical And Easy To Use In ...
- 3G Mobile Application
- What Is A 3G Smart Phone?
- Key Phone Fault Solution
- WCDMA Technical Features
- 3G Mobile Phone Use Advantage
- 3G Mobile Phone Wireless Interface
- The Ministry Of Industry And Information Techno...
- T-Mobile LG G Pad X 8.0 April Security Update
- Samsung Galaxy A6 And A6+ Are Now Official: Aff...
- T-Mobile Juggernaut Continues To Roll With Impr...
- LG G7 ThinQ Leaked Press Renders Show Three Colors
- Chatbot Support To Hit Samsung Galaxy S9 Messag...
- 配有屏幕下指纹技术！Vivo X21 UD 今天在香港开售
- 小米 MIX 2S 评测：丰盛的前菜
- LG G7 ThinQ 的喇叭音量将远高于一般手机
- Samsung Galaxy Apps Store Is Giving Away In-app...
- Xiaomi Files In Hong Kong For The Largest IPO I...