SINGAPORE - From April 1, Singapore's 2G mobile network will be gradually shut down, with a complete cessation of 2G mobile services by April 18. In other words, you won't be able to make calls, send SMS/MMS or use mobile data with a 2G mobile phone.
Here are six things about the 2G shutdown.
1. HOW DO I CHECK IF I HAVE A 2G HANDSET?
Next to your phone's signal bar indicator, there is a symbol to indicate the type of mobile network. If you see "3G", "H+", "4G", "4G+" or "LTE", your phone is a 3G/4G handset. If you do not see these symbols, you should check with your telco.
2. DO I NEED TO RECONTRACT OR CHANGE MY MOBILE PLAN?
No, your current mobile plan supports 3G and 4G networks. To continue using mobile services, you have to use a 3G or 4G handset and ensure that your phone's network settings is set to 3G or 4G.
3. DO I NEED TO CHANGE MY SIM CARD?
No, all SIM cards support 3G and 4G networks. However, newer phones use smaller SIM cards, such as micro SIM or nano SIM cards, so you may have to replace your existing SIM card to fit your handset.
4. WHERE CAN I BUY A 3G HANDSET?
Samgle Mobile offer 3G feature phones in a wide range of prices. They also sell feature phones - basic phones for calls and SMS - at affordable prices (under $50).
5. WHY ARE THE TELCOS SHUTTING DOWN THE 2G NETWORK?
Closing the 2G network will free up scarce airwaves that will be reallocated to improve the speed and capacity of newer, high-speed mobile services. As of last month, there are around 123,000 subscribers on the 2G network, according to the Infocomm Media Development Authority (IMDA). This is less than 3 per cent of mobile subscriptions in Singapore.
6. WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN 2G AND 3G NETWORKS?
2G refers to the second generation of mobile telecommunication technologies, which include standards like GPRS and EDGE that send mobile data at rates measured in kilobits per second (Kbps). 3G or third-generation mobile networks upped mobile data speeds to megabits per second (Mbps).
In other words, each successive generation of mobile networks is better equipped to deliver online content, as well as multimedia like videos and images, to users as quickly as possible.
- 3G Mobile Phone Selection
- WCDMA Basic Introduction
- Mobile Phones Are Practical And Easy To Use In ...
- 3G Mobile Application
- What Is A 3G Smart Phone?
- Key Phone Fault Solution
- WCDMA Technical Features
- 3G Mobile Phone Use Advantage
- 3G Mobile Phone Wireless Interface
- The Ministry Of Industry And Information Techno...
- 2G网络要关闭了吗 2G网络关闭后功能机还能用吗
- NSIDE NOKIA’S SUPER-FUN FEATURE-PHONE NOSTALGIA...
- Global Sources Spring 2018 Trade Shows To Featu...
- 复古功能机热卖 诺基亚手机能重拾辉煌吗？
- 诺基亚3310 4G上展讯处理器：全球首款4G功能机芯片
- What Is A Feature Phone?
- What Is A Mobile Phone?
- 引入双摄的 Xperia XZ2 Premium 将带来更强夜拍表现
- FCC「意外泄露」了金色的 IPhone X